Friday, July 4, 2014

Pork Souvlaki


I went to Mitchell's to pick up a couple of buns to make tuna sandwiches. When I got home I realized I didn't have any tuna left. So back to Mitchell's for a tin of tuna. I decided to do dinner shopping too so I bought tomatoes and pork souvlaki also. The tuna sandwiches were quite good but I don't think I need to write about buttering bread.

I like Mitchell's souvlaki marinade, no idea what's in it, but it tastes good and at this point I haven't done better. I cooked it on the BBQ over medium high heat for about 12 minutes. The rice was done in the microwave with salt, a teaspoon of lemon juice and two teaspoons olive oil. The corn was frozen, cooked in the microwave and finished with salt and butter. 

Vinaigrette

1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tsp rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt 
black pepper
1/4 tsp creamed horseradish

I diced up two tomatoes, a third of an English cucumber, romaine leaves, slice of red onion, feta cheese and black olives all tossed together in the dressing. Chopped fresh parsley over the rice and dive in.

The pork from Mitchell's is always good. The rice is great on it's own. Who knew adding a little lemon juice would make bland rice delicious. The corn goes well with the pork but Fern doesn't like frozen vegetables so they are there mostly for their fibre. The salad was interesting. I think a little tomato with the horseradish would be better but it was good the way it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment