Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Tacos!


Tacos is a way I can sneak beef into Fern's diet. In a bow to middle age digestion, I used whole wheat soft tacos. This time I got two parts ground beef to one part ground pork for extra flavour. I browned the meat with salt then added one tablespoon of taco seasoning and half a cup of beef stock. I sprinkled a little bit of flour over the meat so some of the moisture would stick to it. Stir it up and simmer.

I warmed the taco shell and put meat and grated cheddar in and rolled it up. On top I put a stripe of Guacamole, then sour cream and finally fresh salsa. The Guacamole was store bought but I made the salsa.

Salsa

1 tomato diced
1 slice white or red onion finely diced
1 jalapeƱo seeded and diced
1 tsp chopped cilantro or 2 tsp chopped parsley
2 tsp lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
black pepper
2 tsp olive oil

I was going to leave it at that but the plate would look like I didn't care. I forgot to get refried beans, so I opened a can of pinto beans into a small pot and put it on a burner. I added a tablespoon of tomato ketchup, salt, pepper, 1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning, a few drops Tabasco sauce, stirred and heated  it up. Much to my surprise it tasted good! I plated that with a little grated cheddar over top.

Fern remarked twice during the meal that it was really good. That is remarkable because he usually doesn't like sour cream and he had plenty on his plate. Neither of us could clean our plates so the dogs got lucky tonight! Fern almost didn't have to wash the dishes when they were finished!


No comments:

Post a Comment