Thursday, July 17, 2014

Halibut


I headed to the store with fish in mind and the halibut caught my eye. Usually it's too expensive but today I decided to splurge. The fillet had skin on it which I left on to see if I could cook it properly. Nope. I screwed it up.

I put rice on with salt, olive oil and lemon juice. Set the broccoli and carrots in the steamer and the frying pan heating up. I seasoned the fish and set it in the pan skin side down. I was planning to let it cook from the bottom up and get crispy skin. That didn't happen. It didn't seem to be cooking on the top half so I put a lid on the pan to cook the top.  This kept the steam in and basically poached the fish. No crunchy skin. It tasted ok but not the $13 worth the fish cost. It was entirely my fault because I should have had the oven hot so I could put pan in there to cook the top once the skin is crunchy. I think this is about the third time in my life I've cooked halibut so I won't beat myself up too much over it.

The sauce is just mayonnaise and sweet pickle relish mixed 50/50. The vegetables were steamed and finished in olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment