Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Tacos with Greek Salad


I bought a 2kg roll of lean ground beef to make dog food. I was going to get pork tenderloin for dinner but I decided to buy ground pork instead.  When I got home I took half the pork and replaced it with beef, that was dinner and the rest was dog food. 

Dog Food

I cut up a carrot, celery stick and onion and broke a bay leaf into the pan.  Break meat up into  a layer an inch or so thick, then add salt.  Put in 325ºF oven for 45 minutes or until cooked through. I cook up a cup of rice and mix it with the meat when it's cooked. If you make this once, the dogs won't eat dog food again so don't make it unless you're prepared to keep making it.

Tacos are easy.  Brown the ground beef and pork adding salt and a tablespoon taco seasoning. When the meat has browned, add the beef stock. I sprinkled a little flour over the meat so the stock would cling to the meat a bit. Warm the plates and tacos in the oven and put a line of filling on the tacos. Spread grated cheddar over the meat and roll up the taco. Put salsa on the tacos and sour cream on the side. 

I didn't have refried beans so I opened a can of baked beans. I added a teaspoon of taco seasoning to the beans and they were pretty good. Refried beans would be better, but in a pinch, this worked. Fresh chopped parsley to garnish. I'd use cilantro but Fern doesn't like it.

Greek Salad

Vinaigrette

1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
paprika
1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano

Salad

1 cup diced cucumber
1 cup diced tomato
1/4 cup black olives
1/4 cup feta cheese
1/8 cup diced red onion or other onion

Whisk the vinaigrette and add the diced tomatoes and cucumber.  I didn't have red onion so I used chives. I cut pitted black olives in half and added them. Buying premium olives pays off with much better flavour. I broke a chunk of feta cheese up into the bowl and tossed it all together.

Fern cleaned his plate up fairly quickly, which means he really liked it. I thoroughly enjoyed the meal. I didn't think I'd eat the salad but once I got started, it was so good I just kept eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment