Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Chicken Breast with Asparagus and Quick Hollandaise Sauce


"Want anything from the store?" I called to Fern.
"No Broccoli!"
Too much of a good thing I guess. Fortunately, asparagus was on special so that's what I bought.  I've been buying boneless skinless chicken breasts lately because I've been using beef stock instead of chicken for my sauces. This meal was quite simple and quick.

I salted the breasts then rolled them in a mixture of a tablespoon of flour and a teaspoon of onion powder. I knew I would have Hollandaise Sauce so I sprinkled only paprika over the breast to keep the flavours mild. Paprika went on a bit splotchy but tasted fine. I sprayed both breasts with oil and put them in a 350ºF oven for thirty minutes.

I snapped the bottoms off the asparagus and steamed it till a fork just pierces the stem. The rice was basmati with salt, lemon juice and olive oil. 

Unbelievably Easy Hollandaise Sauce

Separate an egg.  I usually cook the whites in the microwave and give it to the dogs unless I want to make a meringue.  Put the yolk in a four cup glass bowl. In another glass vessel melt a bit less than a quarter cup butter. It needs to be melted but not hot. While whisking the yolk, slowly add the melted butter half a teaspoon at a time. Too much butter at once will break the sauce. When all the butter is taken up the yolk should be getting a bit stiffer, like mayonnaise. Add a pinch of salt and a teaspoon lemon juice and one of cold water. Whisk and taste. It should be lemony but not sour.  Add more lemon and/or water and/or salt to balance the sauce. It's still raw so don't add too much of anything yet but it should be thin at this point. 

When everything else is ready put the sauce in the microwave on high for twenty seconds. Take out and whisk.  Put back in microwave for ten seconds and whisk again.  It should be thickening, keep giving it ten seconds at a time till it's the desired consistency. If it gets too thick add a little cold water. Plate the rice, asparagus and chicken then pour Hollandaise generously over the asparagus and hit the chicken with a little too.

Fern's plate looked a little better with the chicken, then asparagus and finally rice, but I'm set up to photograph my plate. No matter how it looked, the chicken was wonderful.  A light onion flavour with a little spice from the paprika, tempered with lemony, buttery sauce. 



No comments:

Post a Comment